Pages

Sunday, May 17, 2015

We are off and running!

Freedom on the Road

After some tearful goodbyes on Saturday we hopped in Lilah and hit the road.We filled up with some gas and then just by chance we saw our daughter and her family again at the stop light on the way out of town. What a wonderful surprise! We then made our way to Route 9 one last time for the next 60 days. We drove the same path I drive to work except this time we got to go right on by! Yay!! What a feeling! Freedom!!

We are really doing this!!

We are from farmland. Mostly flat. You can see the all the neighboring farms around you. Really, it feels like you can see forever. It is beautiful and I appreciate it's history.




I think about how much I love it here as we drive by. I am glad we both grew up here and that this part of the country is a part of us and who we are. Both of us are excited though to leave this flatland and see what is up ahead.

Life passes by fast!!

We pass by a cemetery and I wonder about it's occupants. Did they live their whole lives in the same town? Did they get to experience the world? Did they take the trip of their dreams? I actually had a moment of sadness for anyone that never got the chance to do something like this and then just as fast I had a moment of overwhelming gratitude that we are doing this now while we both can. Gratitude is always a great way to start of road trip!!

We make our way through Illinois and into Iowa. Did you know that the World's Biggest Truck Stop (IOWA 80) is in Wolcott, Iowa? No, we didn't stop but the place looked huge! It looked like an amusement park and if we weren't heading on down the road we would have made time for a pit stop.  I hear they have a museum, chrome shop the size of Wal-mart (which excites Charlie to no end), and even a truckers jamboree.



Brooklyn - wait - did we make a wrong turn?

We arrive at a Pilot in Brooklyn, Iowa to settle in for the night. I am amazed and amused by all the towns that have the same name across the country. Charlie and I entertain ourselves with all the "wrong turn" jokes you can think of.  The Pilot was fairly quiet with just a few trucks coming and going through the night. It should have been easy sleeping but I was too excited about our adventure to sleep too much.  So I spent much of the night people watching from behind the curtains. I love boondocking...it is a people watchers paradise!! Nobody even knows you're there...for sure anyway!

Weather is gonna be an issue!

There was a line of storms coming towards us last night but they lost strength before they got to us. Whew!! All we really got was a little rain but we were on Weatherbug frequently - how many gigabits do we have again?? LOL

Did you say Free Camping and Free WiFi?

We are currently at Historical Streeter Park in Aurora, Nebraska. Aurora is about 3 miles north off of I 80 at Exit 332. You go north through town to the stop light and then turn left and the park is on your right. The park is easy peasy to get to. They have a nice bike path and roads with easy access to ride around on. There are about 18 campsites with electric and water. They have very nice campground restrooms. Bummer - no shower! Sites aren't too long - but that doesn't matter to a Roadtrek anyway!! lol

We found this place on freecampsites.net and it is a sweet little park. The stay is free but they ask for donations. We gladly donated! Oh, and by the way, the whole town has free wifi...what a gift to a blog!!

As I write this it is storming. A nice gentle rain but thunder is rumbling. Shutting off for now as it is just too early in the trip to burn up the laptop!! hee hee

One hour later

Well, I figured out the picture thing, I hope!! If you are seeing pictures then Woo Hoo!!

I have to add a couple of thank you notes: Tiffany, our daughter, made me the cutest Dashboard Organzier. I love seeing it on the dash - it is so colorful, bright and cheery and it reminds me of her! 


She also made us a fruit hammock. Don't you just love all those hacks for small spaces!! Thank you sweetie - having these is like carrying a part of you with us!!


Also, note in the picture above, the cute little cross stitch pillow hanging above the paper towel holder. It says "May you always have a shell in your pocket and sand in your toes." My friend and colleague Darcy made this for Charlie and I. Those of you on the Roadtrek Facebook page know Darcy as the gal who just adopted Ms. Xanadu, a 2004 Chevy 190P. She is a beauty and we can't wait to take a trip together!! Thank you Darcy - we think of you every time we get in the side door and see your handiwork!!

Lastly, thank you to my sister, Cathy, for making us cookies and helping us get ready on Saturday morning! It wouldn't have gone as smoothly without you!

So for now...

we are gonna sign-off and get busy relaxing! It is still raining and it sounds so wonderful on the roof. You know that type of day...when you are working and you dream of being home with a quilt and a good book. Well, we are home and we have plenty of good books just waiting for some attention!

Charlie and Tammy











3 comments:

  1. Looks like they were the perfect size and you had a perfect start to your trip!! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. FREEDOM! I bet you'll enjoy every precious moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited that your trip has started out well! I'm finally going to have time to begin learning all about Miss Xanadu this weekend. I feel like I have a lot to learn! Hoping to charge up the batteries, dewinterize, get new tires, and get the tanks ready to go. And if there's time, wash her and make her pretty. :) Travel safe, and I can't wait to hear all about where you're going and what you're seeing!

    ReplyDelete